14 Dec

Serendipity |ˌserənˈdipitē|noun,  the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way : a fortunate stroke of serendipity | a series of small serendipities.


I know, I know, that’s a strange way to start the blog today but hey, bear with me and you’ll understand!

First a slight digression. After having used a 7 foot  extreme white water kayak for the last 4 years and being driven crazy by it’s and my inability to travel in it, we decided after listening to friends whose advise we trust, to invest in a divorce boat. Never heard of them? Well that’s what those in the kayaking industry sarcastically call double kayaks. We love one another dearly, but we have also been known to fight like cats and dogs, even after 33 years of wedded bliss. So we decided on a 22 foot Seaward Passat G3, a Canadian made, fibreglas boat. Those of you who know the industry will recognize what we bought, but for the rest of you, this is a very long boat that separates the paddlers by another cockpit. It’s so long we can’t even touch one another with our paddles which for us is a good thing as the concept of paddling in unison is about as foreign as learning Chinese would be. It’s also a very fast and stable boat.

Told you it was long!

We bought it in May and spent a few trips out around Victoria, Shawnigan Lake and Okanagon Lake learning how to use it and get it on and off our vehicle. Since we drive a Suzuki it was quite the sight and we certainly got some strange looks from those who saw us transporting this beauty. The whole point of this was because for the last 5 winters we have been staring at Danzante and Carman Islands, just 3 1/2 miles away with no way to get to them, and we wanted something that we could do something together.


The kayak was hoisted onto the top of Grummy and off we went, back to Baja with the thoughts of long kayak trips dancing in our heads. We unloaded at our favourite spot on Rattlesnake beach and tried out a few short trips, mostly because sometime during the latter part of fall, I apparently tore my left Rotator Cuff. Big Bummer!! After a couple of short paddles it became apparent that the torn muscle wasn’t really going to be a problem paddling, so last Saturday that water was just too inviting and we decided to head out for a short fishing trip to figure out how we would manage to do that from the boat.


You know how you start out to do one thing and somehow it leads to something else? Well that’s exactly what happened to us. We caught a Little Tunny about 2 miles from the beach and decided since it was such a glorious day that we’d head to the south end of Danzante and take a look around. When we got there we thought, well, what the hell, let’s just put our nose around the bottom of the island and see what’s there, then it was go a little further till we found a lovely beach. We hopped out and wandered around enjoying the break and since we were almost half way up the other side of the island we decided to continue to round it and then head for our beach.


As we were approaching the northern end of Danzante, we spied what we thought was our friends in their Folbot, a rather slow, folding boat. We decided to sneak up on them, but as we got close, it became apparent that this was not our friends, but we planned on being friendly and saying “Hi” anyways. As we got close without them noticing, Richard said, loudly, “Beep, Beep”. They spun around, laughed, then noticing our fishing rod, plaintively asked if we could teach them how to catch fish. During the ensuing conversation, they told us they had been travelling for a month and a half and hadn’t managed to catch anything. They’d been into Loreto to store some gear and were just mucking about the islands as one of them’s girlfriend was coming to spend 4 days with him and the other was just going to hang around and relax while the other entertained. They wanted to know what time it was and if they could get a ride into town and to the airport from Puerto Escondido, the harbour just north of us, as the girls plane arrived at 3 PM. Richard as is his usual wont, immediately offered to drive the one fellow to the airport so he could meet his lady friend. They were pretty stoked that a total stranger would be willing to do that for them and accompanied us back to our beach. All the while, as we paddled back to Rattlesnake they told us of their journey and jokingly pointed out how heavily loaded their kayak was. It also was a folding boat but a Feathercraft, which is also a Canadian made kayak, which they pointed out when it became apparent that we were Canadian, and they weren’t joking about all the weight. They said they had a hull speed of 6 knots and they weren’t kidding. It was all we could do to restrain ourselves and stay with them.


Landing on our beach, Richard pulled our kayak up to it’s parking spot and I grabbed 4 bottles of beer and took them down as the boys started to unload their kayak, and unload, and unload, and unload! The amount of stuff they had with them was unbelievable and they said they still had a sail rig, kite and kite board sitting in Loreto that they had carried all the way from San Filipe, where they had originally put in. This is in the far north of the Sea of Cortez on the Baja side, a very long ways away. They were ever so thankful for the beer and we finally got around to introducing ourselves. They were Mark and Josh and it was Josh who was heading to the airport to meet his girlfriend. As soon as the kayak was unloaded enough to get it up the beach, off they went with Richard.

And that's only part of all the stuff

When they returned a couple of hours later, it was just Mark with Richard and already the funny stories had started. Richard had dropped Josh off at the airport and continued into Loreto so Mark could get the rest of their stuff. They had stopped at the little convenience store near our road access on their way back in and apparently Mark was famished. As he gathered up all the carbs he could find, Richard mentioned to Lorraina the proprieties how hungry Mark was, sensing a customer she could upsell to, she showed him a pizza. Mark was interested but not willing to eat it cold, “Not a problem” Lorraina said and popped it into her Microwave right then, and handed it to Mark, hot. He devoured the whole thing quickly and Richard was still chuckling about Lorrainas business acumen when they got back to the beach.


Mark kept asking if it was going to be OK for him to stay on our beach for a couple of days and we kept reassuring him that it would be fine, besides it wasn’t really “our” beach. I asked him to come for dinner and he accepted with alacrity. Over the course of dinner, we heard more of Mark and Josh’s story. Mark was an doctor from Oregon that no longer practiced in the States. He was actually supposed to be writing a book about the how bad the US medical system was but he got a bit bogged down and on the spur of the moment he asked his friend Josh if he wanted to travel down the Sea of Cortez, to La Paz. Josh, an unemployed carpenter with nothing better to do, agreed. With only a weeks planning, off they went. They hit huge waves, very high winds, no landing sites, and probably should have died a dozen times over, but fate obviously had other plans for them.  With Josh off to new girlfriend heaven, Mark had time to finally relax, enjoy the warm sun and sand and get some work done on his book. The next morning, Richard had the couple next to us in stitches when he leapt out of the van, coffee cup in hand to present to Mark just as he woke up. Our neighbours told us that they’d never seen such a high quality resort.

Dr. Mark

Dr. Mark was a very personable guy and in no time at all became a favourite with everyone on the beach who met him. He also was more than willing to help a few folks who were in need of a doctors ministrations. I warned him that he could end up stuck on our beach, all he had to do was let it be known he was a Doctor and the folks would be lining up. He actually ended up doing consultations on our beach with a fellow that was having major stomach problems caused by parasites. Mark in his young life (38) had kayaked in a great many countries and had experienced the same problems, so he knew exactly what was needed and actually had some medicine with him that helped our friend tremendously. He was more than willing to offer advise consisting of Western, Oriental and herbal. When I asked him about it he said he believed in using whatever worked. The only time he ever used strictly Western medicine was if the patient was dying, because it had the best painkillers.


He joined our beach Yoga group and went hiking up Tabour Canyon, with us and others, making friends as he went. Finally after 4 days Josh returned to the beach with his girlfriend in tow, and 50 pounds more food that Mark’s wife had shipped down. Heather was supposed to have flown out that day, but her flight had been cancelled with no explanation. She was told to come back the next day, maybe the flight would leave then. This is Mexico, you just get used to these things. They decided the best way to pass the time was to come to the beach, borrow the kayak and go snorkelling. Off they went and when they returned they had another 2 kayakers with them. These gentlemen had made the same trip Mark and Josh had and were only staying the night. In the mean time Mark spent the day on the beach trying to pare down the amount of stuff that they needed to pack, and still stay afloat.

Our kayak resort

The next morning our beach looked like Kayak Heaven with bodies camping out all over the place. Our neighbour told us later she and her husband were taking bets between them as to whether we had enough coffee mugs to go around and would Richard be out there again in the morning handing coffee out. We did and he did. Shortly after breakfast the other 2 visitors said their goodbyes and thanks and turning into the sunrise, headed south.


The rest of us consulted and made plans. Heather needed to be at the airport at noon and once 2 PM had passed they knew she would be off. At that point, if she didn’t return to the beach, the boys would pack up and head south themselves.


We also wanted to go out on the water so we figured we’d meet up with them as they left. We were gone until 3PM and figured we’d missed them, but as we got closer to the beach we could see them still loading their kayak. We made it back just in time to give them both a big hug and sincere wishes for a safe and uneventful finish to their trip. There was quite a crowd on the beach to see them off and actually a few tears were shed as they sailed off into the wind. Most of us watched until we could no longer see them and many commented on just how quiet it would be now. When we turned back into our camping site, there in our Mesquite tree was a bag with about  20 pounds of food. Mark had left it for us as a sort of payment for everything we’d done for him. He also had an ulterior motive, that way he didn’t have to put it in the already overloaded kayak!

Josh and Mark leaving the way they came

E-mail addresses had been exchanged and all of us were invited to visit Mark in Bend any time. I’m sure, considering all the friends he made in the short time he spent on our beach that many will take him up on the offer. We can all hardly wait to read his book and get it personally autographed by our new friend Dr. Mark!

A serendipitous occasion if ever there was one!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: